Monday, November 25, 2013

They've hatched!

No spiders this post, I promise!

Remember the eggs from last post? Well, I kept an eye on them and watched them become fairly transparent with a glimpse of the bugs inside. Then one time when looking through my lens, I noticed that some were emerging. I can't see that well just looking through the camera but when I got the photos into the computer, I could see the little bugs that were emerging. Very exciting!


Bugs seen through eggs and some empty eggshells. See the red eyes?

Newly emerged Spined Citrus bug on eggs.

View of newly emerged bug on eggs from below.

The newly hatched bugs stayed on the eggs for the first day or two, probably to allow their exoskeletons to harden.



4 comments:

  1. Excellent photos, make me want to shreik, yet are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Sylphide. Nothing scary here unless you are worried about them ruining the citrus fruit. I find them fascinating. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies for being so slack on commenting and catching up. I did read this a while back but wanted to congratulate you on your amazing photography and also your eagle eye for spotting these eggs in the first place! They are the most cute and colourful eggs and the little bugs very cute!
    I also enjoyed your Lynx spider post as we don't get those here (I read there are only about 3 species in Europe). They are very handsome beasts and I love their spiky legs! :-)

    ReplyDelete